Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Book Review: Unhinged

Unhinged

Unhinged by A.G. Howard

***Please note: This is the second book in a series and the review for the first book, can be found here. Splintered by A.G. Howard.

Blurb on The Back:

In Splintered, A.G. Howard’s dark reimagining of Alice in Wonderland, Alyssa Gardner was crowned a Queen in Wonderland. Yet she chose to leave her subjects so she could live in the human realm. For a year she’s been trying to be regular Alyssa again, with her boyfriend, Jeb, her newly returned mom, her friends, the prom, and the promise of a future in London.

But Morpheus, the seductive, manipulative netherling who haunts her dreams, won’t let her leave her legacy behind that easily. Neither will Wonderland, which appears to be suffering from her neglect.

Alyssa is torn between two worlds: Jeb and her human life…and the intoxicating wildness of Wonderland – and Morpheus. When those worlds collide and Wonderland starts to invade her “real” life, Alyssa must find a way to keep the balance between the two realms or lose everything she loves.

My Thoughts:

This book ultimately decided what it is about this series that I love and what I hate. What I love is the dark, whimsical, magical and haunting world that is Wonderland and everything in it and what I don’t like is the “reality” aspect and the almost whinging teenager that is Alyssa. I kind of loved her in the first book and started getting really annoyed with her in the second.

I’m still addicted to this series, the first book had me hooked within it’s pages; the second book has me faltering a little bit but I enjoyed it never the less.

I did mention, when reviewing Splintered, that there was an love triangle aspect that was sort of on par with Twilight and the whole Team Edward and Team Jacob. I guess for this book Team Edward would be Morpheus – offering Alyssa an immortal life with some mystery and excitement where as Team Jacob would be Jeb – offering Alyssa a quiet, stable life which is filled with their dreams of becoming artists etc etc. See what I did there? I tried to make the life with Jeb sound a little bit more exciting than it presents itself. Long story short, I’m team Morpheus and I kind of knew that from the very first book but the second book put everything into place for me. I’m drawn toward liking Wonderland and all it’s darkness and mystique; I’m drawn toward the adventure and thrill; I’m drawn toward the seductive and playful Morpheus and long story short, Jeb bores me. Sure, he’s selfless and would do anything for Alyssa and I feel bad for him but BLAH.

Have I digressed? I feel like I’ve digressed a little bit. I didn’t love this story as much as Splintered and I think that has a lot to do with it being set in the “real world” rather than in Wonderland. Was it a good story? Yes, it was great; it added a lot of plot twists and changes to things learned in the first book and I especially loved the cliff-hanger ending. I think it’s a great second book in the series and I still love the characters and so I can’t wait for the release of Ensnared!

Added note: The font is still dark purple and beautiful – I was expecting Dark Blue though!

UnhingedStars

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Kerri

Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment