Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Book Review: Splintered

Splintered

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Blurb on The Back:

Alyssa Gardner hears the thoughts of plants and animals. She hides her delusions for now, but she knows her fate: she will end up like her mother, in an institution. Madness has run in her family ever since her great-great-great-grandmother Alice Liddell told Lewis Carroll her strange dreams, inspiring his classic Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

But perhaps she’s not mad. And perhaps Carroll’s stories aren’t as whimsical as they first seem.

To break the curse of insanity, Alyssa must go down the rabbit hole and right the wrongs of Wonderland, a place full of strange beings with dark agendas. Alyssa brings her real-world crush – the protective Jeb – with her, but once her journey begins, she’s torn between his solidarity and the enchanting, dangerous magic of Morpheus, her guide to Wonderland. But no one in Wonderland is who they seem to be – not even Alyssa herself…

My thoughts:

I’m so obsessed with this book.

First of all, my confession is this: I have watched all the variations of Alice in Wonderland movies but I can’t recall ever really reading the book, nor have I read Through the Looking Glass. That being said, I am familiar with both stories and I generally have a good idea of what happens. Personally, I love the Alice in Wonderland story and I’m obsessed with it.

(I just remembered – as a child I had Alice in Wonderland and The Looking Glass on cassette…but I only ever listened to Wonderland and that’s why I know it so well)

When I found out about this book, I had to have it and I had to read it. I kind of love the idea of “what happened next” when it comes to classic books and so forth; sometimes i can end horribly and destroy the mystery of “what happened next” but in this case I really loved it! I loved the spin on the original story and I love the love triangle emerging throughout the book (even if it is a bit Twilight/Bella/Edward/Jacob for my liking). I also love the descriptive detail of the outfits and the style and I find the whole book to be very descriptive in that regard but not in an overly annoying “flouncy” sort of way; it was detail in modest sort of way.

Again, like most books I read, I like when there’s a bit of a twist and you might not necessarily see things coming; it’s those moments when you’re on the verge of your seat because you know something is going to happen or some sort of confession is going to come out and you just have to keep reading until it happens. For me, when I read a book, that’s a great feeling.

I love the beauty of this book, the cover is gorgeous, the font-type and chapter headings are beautiful and the font-colour is a gorgeous dark purple but not in an overbearing sort of way.

Overall, I loved this book and couldn’t really fault it…actually, that’s a lie, I didn’t love that it was set in Texas…it’s such a trivial thing but when I was reading and found that out…it was a little bit disheartening? Again, it’s trivial and other than that I can’t fault the book really!

Splinteredstar

Rating: 4 & 3/4 out of 5

Kerri

Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment