Monday, February 17, 2014

Movie Monday #1

The Book Thief

Over recent weeks I have been sensing the urge to watch The Book Thief but I never really found the time to do so. I don’t know why I didn’t watch it earlier; I really should have! It was an amazing movie!

For all those who don’t know, The Book Thief  is a movie (based on a book) which tells the story of a young girl during World War II; she basically falls in love with books, words, reading, writing etc.  but along the way she encounters situations such as book burnings and all the upheaval which occurred during these terrible years.

Actually at one point during the movie, I was googling all sorts of information about book burnings and authors; I wanted to know why it happened, what books were included, what authors were included, why were their books “bad” and it just opened a Pandora’s box for me, I needed to know everything!

I think movies like The Book Thief give the audience a different ideas to walk away with; that is to say, I walked away from this movie with a stronger attachment to the written word and the power of language as well as a sense of really trying to live life to the fullest.  But I feel like someone else watching this movie may gain a different feeling or belief just based on what they feel is important in life.

My one regret about this movie is actually watching the movie at all; LET ME EXPLAIN! I loved the movie and I loved the cinematography, I loved the cast and I generally loved it, BUT I think I should have read the book. I always prefer books over movies and I think if I had read the book, it would have done a lot more justice to the story, but you win some and you lose some. I probably might still try and read the book, but I really like some of the magic or (insert word here that I currently can’t think of) may be somewhat taken away simply because I’ve already seen the movie and I know what's going to happen (this doesn’t occur, for me, so much if I read the book first and then see the movie).

Never the less, it was a beautiful movie and I really loved the story. Excuse me now while I go hug my book collection…

End

Categories: , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment